Monday, August 29, 2011

Live and Learn

I´d been thinking about doing a watercolour painting of a blue jay when last week I found a blue jay feather in my backyard. It was pretty much impossible to look at the feather without wanting to paint it, so I did a quick little watercolour... 



After the feather was done I started on the whole bird. I think this piece might turn out to be an elaborate preliminary because I´m not please with the composition. I misplaced the bird and now his tail feathers are getting smooshed into the edge of the picture frame. Hmm, so maybe the week your two year old has been sick and cranky and wearing you out a little is not the week to start a finicky new painting. When I´m doing a watercolour I don´t draw the outline of what I´m going to paint because I don´t what there to be any pencil lines in my painting, but this is one time when it may not have hurt to pencil in the bird before I started painting.





4 comments:

  1. I love:
    1) feathers
    2) blue jays/Blue Jays
    3) your cranky two-year-old

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lis!
    In response:
    1)Feathers love you.
    2)I really wanted to fit in a Blue Jays references but it just felt forced. Thank you for making it work.
    3)Happy to report that cranky two-year old is back to being inordinately happy two-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stepharoni, have you considered using a lightbox? You could figure out your composition on a crummy (thin) paper, and then put it on your light box under your watercolour paper, and then lightly "trace" your drawing or give yourself some marks with watercolour. Maybe you could use watercolour pencil? Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I like that. I think that would be possible, as long as I didn't use very much water to map in the figure since the paper wouldn't be stapled to the drawing board yet. Hmm, there's probably all sorts of great applications for a lightbox. Thanks, Meghatron.

    ReplyDelete