Friday, April 15, 2011

Scrapping My Plans

shout out to J.M.W. Turner

Funny how things go. A few days ago I resolved to open a shop on Etsy (something I've been meaning to do for sometime) and so I've been working on getting that set up, and then, wham-O, today my PC crashed. Tumbled right off a big cliff into a dark chasm of nothingness. I'm writing this from my laptop but all the photos of my work and the descriptions I had written up and ready to go are on my desk top computer. A hill of beans in the grand scheme of things, but still, I say, "booooh." Hopefully the fix won't be all that difficult and I'll be able to have prints of my work for sale on Etsy next week. I'm especially keen to get the bunny giclee hopping, it being somewhat seasonally appropriate. In the meantime if you're interested in something, drop me an email.

Since my Etsy shop making ambition has been stalled, what else could I do but spend some time playing around with Pinterest. If you've never heard of it, Pinterest is a website that acts as a virtual pinboard. It lets you collect images under a general heading and 'pin' them onto a board. I'm just getting into it and finding that using Pinterest is a great way to create a virtual scrapbook of art that I love. Looking at pictures of art that I really enjoy is, well, enjoyable! But it's also a good exercise in understanding myself as an artist. Alright, that sounds mighty hokey and pretentious, but realizing what qualities and principles I admire in the work of others gives me a greater awareness of what I want to accomplish in my own work. Looking at the collection of images I've assembled so far, they're all very different from the type of work I'm currently doing, but not so far afield from some of the work I've done in the past. At the moment, I'm pretty honed in on a particular style of watercolour painting, so I find looking at a variety of other styles and getting into a different visual head-space is very refreshing. It's by no means an extensive collection, but I'd love to share with you some art that I think is delicious: click here for a taste.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no PC! Oh yes Pinterest! Definitely a winning site. (Here's another: http://seawitchery.tumblr.com/post/4070384205/) By the by, don't you find that Lucian Freud painting bears a strange resemblance to yer old pa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, now that you say it...they both have a big space between the bottom of their nose and the top of their lip. Is there a word for that space?

    That link is fun! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete