Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pictures at an Exhibition

There are two art related things that I'm looking forward to at this moment. The first is getting a new camera. After a fair bit of research, my husband and I have pretty much decided on what kind of camera to purchase. We have our eyes on the Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm IS Lens Ki. Wowsers, reading that description brings me pretty close to having heart palpitations. Which is to say, I'm excited at the prospect of a new camera. Not only will I be able to immortalize my toddler's cuteness with greater ease, but I'll be able to get way better photographs of things I'd like to draw or paint (besides my adorable toddler!) and I'll be able to better document my work. My simple point and shoot camera has let me down on innumerable occasions so I'm very eager to find out what's possible with a good camera. If you have any reason why I should not get the Canon EOS REbel T1i, speak now or forever hold your peace.

So what's the other anticipated art 'thing'? An exhibit that includes three of my paintings is opening tomorrow afternoon. The paintings I'm showing are three original watercolours that I've posted down below. The exhibit is called Art in the Workplace and the opening reception is from 4:30 - 7:30 pm. The event is happening at the McMaster Innovation Park on 175 Longwood Road South, Hamilton, Ontario. The McMaster Innovation Park (MIP) is a research and development branch of  McMaster University. Even if you're not from Ontario, it's possible you've heard of McMaster University because the school has been the source of several advances in Health Sciences.

The Art in the Workplace exhibit brings work from local artists into the atrium of MIP's beautifully renovated  building. In it's previous life, the MIP building housed the Hamilton offices of Camco Inc, an appliance manufacturer. Camco's factory was torn down a number of years ago. The factory building came almost right to the edge of  Longwood Road and was separated from the road by a barbed wire fence. Whenever I drove by I would see workers sitting against the factory wall, looking past the fence into traffic, and smoking. Seeing those workers behind that high chain-linked fence topped with barbed wire always made me feel free, and feel bad. If they had any art in the workplace, it was probably a lot harder to see than what's showing at MIP.







p.s. sorry Mussorgsky; it's late, I couldn't think of another title.

No comments:

Post a Comment