Tuesday, March 8, 2011

One Suggestion for Conquering Procrastination

I'd like to say thank you for the really positive and encouraging feedback I received about Adam's portrait. On Facebook especially there were a lot of lovely comments and I noticed that many of them were from people who attended high school with Adam.

When I finish something I've been working on for a while, I find I often have to build up steam for the next project. It's not that I don't want to start something new, it's more like a latent sense of disbelief, as in, "Really? I get to start another painting and finish it?" Admittedly, it's a silly thought to have but on the other hand, it's a reassurance that making pictures hasn't become blase.  

As part of the process of getting geared up for starting something new, I was thinking about ways to encourage myself to get going and it occurred to me that one of the biggest things I can do is clean up my work space. Cleaning up seems to be a fairly common suggestion for improving work habits and is often connected to the adage that a cluttered space makes for a cluttered mind. Hogwash, I say! Personally, I don't buy that particular piece of folk wisdom because once my work space is clean and I'm working on something, the area very quickly becomes messy again and it doesn't stop me from optimizing my painting time (or if it does, I'm wonderfully oblivious).

So, why bother cleaning up my work space? Because otherwise organizing my desk becomes a prime source of procrastination. I tell myself that I'll start my next project after I clean up my work space. Once my desk is all cleaned up, I have nothing to stop me from starting that next painting. But until that time? Well, I can't start painting, my desk is too messy and now just isn't a good time to tidy up. Plus, the fact that I can't find the staple-gun that I need to attach the watercolour paper to the drawing board might also be a good reason to get organized.


Here's the preliminary watercolour of Cady the canine, and now that I've found my staple-gun, I can begin the final.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful work Steph! I just did a cleaning blitz about an hour ago, sometimes that's all it takes to say "Now I am starting a totally new thing."

    I wondered if you would post on your blog about the paper you use and how you stretch it? I got a question about it from a friend recently and I wasn't sure what to tell him as I've always been so hopeless at it that I just gave up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meghan! Ah, the cleaning blitz; harbinger of good things.

    I would love to share my paper info-- I stretch the blue blazes out of it so that I can do lots of scrubbing when I change my mind about something. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete